Projects that took longer than my giant puzzle probably will:
- Curiosity’s arrival on Mars: ~8 months
- Producing a baby elephant: ~22 months
- Magellan’s circumnavigation: ~3 years
- The writing of Jurassic Park: ~8 years
- Building the pyramid of Giza: ~10-20 years
- 2014 World Cup infrastructure: should be ready by the year 2030 if all goes well
People ask me to guesstimate how long it’ll take. My family and I are resigned to having a giant puzzle on a giant table in our way for at least two months, based on my average of one week to assemble a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle (this varies with the puzzle’s difficulty and my level of enthusiasm). However, we’re dealing with a much larger haystack here, so I doubt it’ll be a linear progression.